See you later

 We have come to the end of an era. The spring semester at Brigham Young University – Idaho is coming to an end, and, thus, this blog is also coming to a close. I may come on and add thoughts as they come, but it certainly won’t be as consistent and structured. I have learned a lot about different matters of the family over the course of the semester, and I hope the thoughts I’ve shared here have been helpful for expanding your thoughts on the family as a system. Not only that, but on the role God can play within your family, and the ways the gospel of Jesus Christ can help bring you closer together.

That being said, there is still a topic to discuss this week. I’m a bit nervous about addressing this particular topic, because I’m not even sure where to begin. The focus this week was largely on divorce and remarriage, two things in which I have no personal experience. I’ve seen it happen, but not with close family members. Because of this fact, I have turned to the best source I can think of to find what to write about: the gospel of Jesus Christ as explained within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Divorce seems to be more commonplace nowadays than it was in previous eras. As a kid, I remember hearing about my friends’ parents getting divorced, and that made me fearful of my own parents’ relationship. Every time I heard them arguing, I thought, “is this it?” I wasn’t really sure why marriages would end for other people, but that made it so I was looking for every reason they would, even if that wasn’t anywhere in my parents’ minds. It began to have an effect on me that I didn’t realize was happening. My thoughts were reflective of the statement made by David O. McKay in a Conference Report, April 1969, entitled, “Structure of the Home Threatened by Irresponsibility and Divorce”: “[marriage is being seen] as a mere contract that may be entered into at pleasure … and severed at the first difficulty.”

The sanctity of marriage is being lost. The gumption of couples entering into this binding agreement is no longer being viewed as such, but, rather, is being seen merely as a romantic gesture that can be taken back at any given moment (despite the fact that it’s not that simple). The Family: A Proclamation to the World states, “Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.” If we want to help marriage and family, as well as avoid the foretold calamities, we have to be willing to make a change. This change starts with our individual mindset, and can make all the difference for current and future generations.

Stated in a source on different topics and questions found on churchofjesuschrist.org under the topic of divorce (link below) is, “If, instead of resorting to divorce, each individual will seek the comfort and well-being of his or her spouse, couples will grow in love and unity. The gospel of Jesus Christ—including repentance, forgiveness, integrity, and love—provides the remedy for conflict in marriage.” As I have said before, I am no expert on this topic, but I know someone that knows what we need to do: Jesus Christ. He has laid out different things we need to do to grow as individuals and families. There are many sources we can turn to to find out what those things are. Scriptures, such as the Bible and Book of Mormon, are a wonderful place to start. Prophets and apostles have given great advice and counsel throughout the years. Go directly to God and ask Him in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, what you can do now, whether that’s to prepare for marriage or to preserve or fortify a marriage.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/divorce?lang=eng

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2007/04/divorce?lang=eng

Comments

Popular Posts